Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Stepchild of Society

I'm only accepted because I can benefit you in a way.
When I'm not needed, I'm pushed to the side and unloved because my skin isn't fair.
I am stepped down upon because of my nappy hair.
I'm talked over because my conversation isn't the center of attention.
I'm silent.
I'm withdrawn.
I'm barely even there.
Misunderstood is my middle name.
I'm a lack of many shames.
I scream louder to be heard.
But no one still hear my pain.
I dress sexier but no one even look my way.
I am unwanted because I don't "fit" within the normal limits.
I'm constantly being disrespected because I'm that "fat friend with a pretty name."
I don't fit.
I don't belong.
I'm an outcast to what they consider a norm.
I am ugly yet pretty in a way.
I am tolerated but not wanted.
I'm never begged or pleaded to stay.
My skin feels foreign to me.
Is this who God really placed me here to be?
I'm silent.
I'm withdrawn.
I'm a stepchild to this society to which we all belong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can relate