Thursday, January 29, 2009

Is Bill Cosby Right???

A little over a year ago, Bill Cosby came out with a vengeance to the black community. He was sick and tired, tired of being sick and tired with his own race and I don't blame him! Over the past 20 years, our race (African American/Blacks) has changed tremulously. We can not keep blaming the "white man" for all our problems is his philosophy. We as a culture have to stand up and take responsibility for what we're doing wrong.

Take for example, there is an alarming rise of HIV/AIDS rates, premarital sex and single parenting in the Black community. You don't find it uncommon to have a young, teenage mother walking alone with two or three kids with all different Daddies! I'm going to say this, I don't agree with everything that Bill Cosby is saying. He can be kind of harsh and rude but at least he's someone who's bringing light to this underlying issue! I find it unbelievable how I can go on a website such at "YOU KNOW YOU'RE DEAD AZZ WRONG" and see our black women everyday exploiting themselves for money and attention. This isn't the first website like this but the most amusing one for me right now.(Hey DurtyMo!) LOL. In a lot of these pictures you can see on any given day, how these women flaunt every nook and cranny of their body for someone to take a picture of them. They will do the most unusual sex positions or things to "please" their mates with their children in the background. *blank stare* How dare they corrupt the youth?! These young babies are growing up mimicking everything that they see their parents are doing to the cameras. What makes it so bad, they even show their daughters how to "pop that coochie on a head stand" like they do at work!!! Again Black people we have to do better!

In a way, I believe our Black culture are slowly hating themselves and they don't see the damage that they're producing. Some blogs ago, I blogged about how I'm happy being nappy. A lot of women have told me that I'm crazy for locking such "beautiful" hair and they will never let go of that lye relaxer. Let me repeat myself, nappy is not for everyone. But when you start putting weaves in your hair down to your butt and claiming that's all yours because you paid for it, now that's a damn shame! Why can't you be happy with what God has given you? Have you noticed how a lot of the white women plump their lips fuller to get those Black lips? Or better yet, everyone is getting a butt lift! You have so many young women who look up to you and want to be just like you. I can remember how I wanted my hair to grow just like Aaliayh. I adore and cherished her for being so real and the typical around the way girl. I would slick my hair down and part it just like hers. I wanted my hair to hang long and proud just like hers. I was so shocked when I was in high school that Aaliyah's hair wasn't relaxed, it was natural! Her stylist would just hood dry with a wrap, flat iron and curl. Her hair was so use to it,that finally it just layed there perfectly always. I admired her "natural" beauty but I didn't understand my "natural" beauty just yet.

It took me years to accept myself for what I am now. I am perfect in God's eyes. So what I don't have that big donkey Kong butt, melon breasts, super curvy hips, long hair and cat like eyes! I am a brown skin, nappy headed, educated, nerdy, beautiful BBW! I flaunt whatever I have but in a classy way. I'm a woman at ALL times! I can only change so much of my physical weight but I will always be "PoeticMind" no matter what. I never followed crowds and still don't. But I find a lot of my female friends/acquaintances want to be the next "it" girl or the life of the party. We find this daily in our gossip pages. The girl that does everything when she's drunk. *SMH* These girls (not women!) make me sick and embarrassed. I see how a lot of cultures/religions sometimes look down upon us. I was once that young lady who was dwelling down that spiny road but luckily I found myself before it was too late. Too late to unclaim that baby daddy, lost of education, working dead end jobs, going to the club every weekend while my parents watch my child/children, and living in the fast lane. Steady flirting with every guy that I meet and hoping that he makes me his next "wifey." LOL. This crap is getting old ladies!

Gentlemen (using the term lightly) you're just as wrong as the last foul woman. How can you keep having sex with all these different women from the clubs, hoping that you remembered to put on a condom the night before. Trying to holler at every PYT (pretty young thang) that walks past your sight while you're holding your little son or daughter. Your sons treat women just like his father does and the daughter will learn her first relationship based on love from her Daddy. You have to remember even though you didn't request to have a child, they're God's gift for you to take care of, STOP DENYING YOUR RESPONSIBILITY! No child asks to be born and be denied. Rejection hurts. Bill Cosby has never had to endure any of these thing but he see it everyday just like any culture. Why are so many attacking him and telling him to shut up and sit down? He actually has a point! Our elderly grandparents tell us all the time how to respect one another, especially the elderly, love thy neighbor, stick up for one another, love your spouse like you love God and most importantly be a man/woman and take care of your responsibilities.

We have to teach our children that what we're doing now isn't right. Our children are our future. Without them, our practices, ideas, cultures, routines, religion, customs, etc. will not continue. They are the ones who have to carry the torch once we're gone. I feel sorry for my children when I finally have some. I want to teach them the right and wrong ways of doing/saying things. I want them to study mannerisms, attitudes, faces, reactions and their surroundings. I want them to be better than what I am. I want them to love themselves, flaws and all and let the world fall in love with them. Not some man/woman who told them how cute/sexy/fine/beautiful they are. I want people to see my children for what they really are, God's gifts to this world. We have to teach and raise our children better than what our parents did for us. Protect them, for they are our future.

So do you believe Bill Cosby is right, Has Black Middle Class lost their minds?? Comment